Thursday, October 7, 2010

Light Manilla Flavor

Light Manilla Flavor Air
The season is starting in Manilla, but so far, it's been scratchy at best. Two days ago I and the other XC pilots sank out during what I figured would be a great day after only 14 km at the Tarpoly Creek Sink Hole. This is evidently common as Tom, the local hotel/bar-keep, asked me where I got to and I said "Tarpoly" and he finished it with "Sink Hole". The distance wasn't the best part of the flight though --- it was flying with an eagle that topped the day. I was in a thermal with the eagle on my wingtip, a beautiful moment, which I proceeded to ruin by trying to get my camera out and take a photo. The disruption in my pattern made the eagle unhappy and he promptly started diving toward my wing and squawking. Another pilot, Andy, who I was flying with suggested over radio that I should just talk to the bird to calm it down (this was similar advice to the time I was trapped in the back of a canopy-ed pickup truck with an angry dog... the owner told me just to talk gently to the dog and I'd be OK). Anyhow, I tried talking, but eventually just dove down a little figuring the eagle would leave me alone. Which he did, and instead he headed right over to attack the other pilot who avoided damage by flapping his wing madly. Meanwhile, I fiddled and fiddled with my camera trying to capture the bird with no success. My one handed thermaling technique needs work (note I would only do this photography attempt in light conditions).

Looking at the landing zone.
Today was another prime example of what I figure should be called "light manilla" flavored air. I launched into very light lift, and using every bit of focus I had, worked it back to launch and above.  This convinced several pilots to try it too, but they all bombed out so I was left with the eagles only to fly with. That gave me some time to try out some photos and a short video (I'm hand holding the camera, so the jerkiness in the video is due to my bad one-handed thermaling technique which you can also hear by the variations in wind noise).

3 comments:

  1. WHERE ARE CANGAROOS??? I'm waiting for them as the most exciting thing in Australia... Two weeks and not a single one??? Australia looses appeal to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just haven't managed to stuff a Kangaroo into my camera yet. I've seen them on launch and from the sky and squashed on the road.

    The most exciting thing in Australia are the 10 most poisonous snakes, and the Sydney Funnel Web Spider the most dangerous spider in the world. Everything is poisonous here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many squashed on the road? Is it really that bad? Poor guys... :(

    ReplyDelete