Monday, May 14, 2012

Ratty air



Mittens required at 2600m!  Pemberton BC
Despite my blogging silence I have been flying!  My blog-cationing-excuse is that my wing  doesn't let me take photos often so I haven't had any pretty pics to spice up a post with.  That means you probably don't know that I have been flying a ketchup-and-mustard coloured Ozone M4 MS for most of last season.
Pemberton valley, sweet easy landings
I flew Woodside and Pemberton the last three days and I ran into a lot of ratty air... and by that I mean thermals had cross-sections that felt a bit like a rat king with lots of independent little teeth.  Luckily I'm over my initial spring rustiness or I might have run away!

Mt. Currie, Pemberton BC
I'm posting this to show how beautiful flying in spring time is in British Columbia.  I'd post the videos but watching my one handed flying in turbulent air was enough to make me sick.  Here are some vid caps and photos to keep you cold during any inclement weather you are having.


The calmer air of Woodside near Agassiz, BC!
I did learn something new, my shadow is my friend.  I was enjoying soaring across a gigantic featureless snow field on the side of  a spectacular mountain which might be called Tender Mt according to Google.  I thought I was plenty high because there were what looked like trees way below me sticking out of the snow so I figured I was a few times tree height above the ground.  Luckily my shadow zoomed by me to show me that what I was seeing were just the tops of buried trees and I was a lot closer to the snow than I thought.  So there you have it, a piece of flying wisdom... feature-less terrain and water might be closer or farther than they appear.

Here's a link to my Pemberton "milk run" flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment