Monday, August 30, 2010

Anarchist in Osoyoos

I postponed this post hoping for pictures, but no go, I'll add them later.

Back from a week of driving and flying. Got the first speeding ticket of my whole life --- my police detection circuits were temporarily off line while I was fiddling with the radio looking for CBC.  I went into full American mode when pulled over: I put my hands on the wheel in plain sight and didn't move.  Not necessary.  The police officer asked if I happened to have my license on me, as if it were an option, and then wrote the ticket and further apologized for taking up my time... I love Canada.

The high point of the trip was flying a new-to-me paragliding site called Anarchist in the town of Osoyoos right at the US border.  When we asked a local pilot if there were any places I should not land, he simply said "Don't land in the USA".  The site is listed as "super-sensitive", mainly because there is no real landing zone, so Andrei and I scouted out a few small spots on Nk'mip (pronounced in-ka-meep, a First Nations band) desert land.  The weather predictions were strong winds in the afternoon, so we went up early and both us had a great time exploring the area in moderate lift and winds.  I declined Andrei's offer to chase me in the car while I flew cross country due to the potentially scary weather.  On landing I quickly recalled why I hate deserts as I placed my hand right on a prickly-pear-like cactus while packing up my glider.  Deserts are dry, so we were forced to swim in Osoyoos lake for awhile to rehydrate.  Somehow, though, while the desert is super dry they grow the best peaches there: we had camped the night before in Andrei's friends peach/nectarine/plum orchard and, of course, I ate many many peaches.

TL;DR I ate peaches, went flying, swam in a lake, and told you about
it: Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment